YOUR BIG DAY IN SPAIN
Are you an avid birder? How about making the most of your day out birding? Now that you've come to Spain you may want to use every single minute of the journey and try to make your BIG DAY for Spain. Before the trip starts, we help you via email plan where to go birding depending on your target birds. Unlike our standar full days out, which take up around 8 h, we propose you a longer venture -around 12 h with possibility of dawn or dusk- and explore all the different ecosystems that we can reach in one day, i.e. wetlands, scrubland, forests, mountains, crop fields, and of course, resulting into a great number of global spanish species. Some great days in spring can result into a record of over 100 bird species! Some other days we stay with a very decent 70 sp, that's the magic of birding again! We would be very happy to guide you into this challenging Big Birding Day that will hopefully also bring some lifers to your spanish list.
WHAT IT IS INCLUDED
- Transport is on a courtesy basis
- Local Bird guide fluent in English
- Use of binoculars and scope
- Bird checklist and guide in English
- All taxes
WHAT IT IS EXCLUDED
- Meals and drinks
ITINERARY: our standar tour starts when we meet in the Ronda area. We will meet early in the morning and enjoy around 12 hours out, scouring a programmed set of birding hotspots. Some of these birding sites can be found on our article on birding in Málaga province, but we usually include other renown birding areas in Andalusia, such as the Osuna-Lantejuela IBA (Seville) or the Strait of Gibraltar and Tarifa areas (Cadiz).
MEETING: all over south Spain, including cities like Seville, Málaga and Cádiz.
TIMING: The tour starts when your guide leaves Ronda and finishes then he returns there. This takes 12 h no matter where you meet him. Based on this 12h duration of the tour, the possibilities cover all southern Spain. Here's some examples:
- Based in Ronda? Touring is 12 h.
- Based in Málaga? Touring is 9 h.
- Based in Sevilla? Touring is 8 h.
- And so on for other towns in Andalucía.
This tour is possible year round except in July and August, for high temperatures.
PACE: we adapt to your requirements.
BIRDS TO SEE IN THE SPANISH BIG BIRDING DAY
Some of the nearly 200 species of spanish birds that we may come across throughout the year are:
- Black and Black-eared Wheatears
- Thekla, Calandra and Crested Larks
- White-headed Duck, Black-necked Grebe.
- Crag Martin and Alpine Swift
- Common and Blue Rock Thrushes
- Great Bustard
- Bonelli's, Booted and Short-toed eagles
- Stone Curlew
- Iberian Chiffchaff, Serin, Fan-tailed and Bonelli's Warblers
- Spectacled, Subalpine, Orphean, Dartford and Sardinian Warblers
- Egyptian and Griffon Vultures
- Cirl and Rock buntings
- Rock and Spanish Sparrows
- Red-billed Chough and Peregrine Falcon
- Eagle Owl and Lesser Kestrel
- Purple Heron, Little and Cattle Egrets
- Crested Tit
- Azure-winged Magpie
- 1 guest: 200 eur
- 2 guests: 100 eur each
- 3 guests: 80 eur each
- 4 guests: 70 eur each
- 5 guests: 60 eur each
- 6 guests: 50 eur each
- 7 guests: 45 eur each
- Larger groups by prior arrangement